Living in Micronesia: Stay or Go?

When I was young, I wanted to leave my island home of Pohnpei, Micronesia.  I wanted to live a life of adventure and intrigue, sail the seven seas, and see the world! So, I left. 


Recently, I turned 50.  I spent 23 years away from Home and returned in 2013.  I lived a life of adventure, beyond my wildest dreams.  I sailed the seas, not really sure how many.  I saw the world! Been there, done that, as some would say.  

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I see now where I could've done this instead or could've done that, instead.  Not necessarily to look back and regret, but for the benefit of my children and those coming up after me.  

In 1991 when I left Pohnpei for the U.S. Navy, service in the U.S. Armed Forces for citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia was a brand-new concept.  We were just joining the U.S. Armed Forces under the compact of free association.  There were not many Veterans around.  Definitely no Micronesian Veterans advocacy group.  The first Micronesians who joined were either on their first enlistment or just joining and adjusting to the U.S. Armed Forces.  So, there was no one around to lead or guide our young Micronesians.  Well maybe one or two Vietnam Veterans were around at that time.  But no one in that current generation. 

If I had to do it all again, I would definitely attend the college of Micronesia and earn an associate degree first.  Why?  Well, first off, I would enter as an E-3, instead of an E-1.  Not much of a difference, but still better than nothing.  Also, having an associate degree better prepares one for the 100% tuition assistance offered while on Active Duty to achieve a bachelor's degree.  

Also, just having more time among families and friends would really help.  I feel like I missed out some quality time with my parents when they were much younger and in the case of my Father, when he was still alive.  This is the biggest lesson learned for me.  

So, my suggestion for young Micronesians that want to leave their country for school or service in the Armed Forces, do it.  Then return, home.  Your nation, your state, your island, your community need you. Especially if you have a degree or a set of skills learned in the military.  Our most valuable resource are our Human resources.  A country cannot run itself.  It needs dedicated citizens willing to serve the greater good in the public or private sector and that is to serve others.  


Post a Comment

0 Comments